Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Munching on CIGI's mangos


When I came across the story of Mariatu Kamara in the Toronto Star on Sept. 2, I fired myself an email as a reminder to try to pick up a copy of the book she co-authored, The Bite of the Mango, before I left Canada. After all, it was the first memoir of the Sierra Leone Civil War that I’d come across which was told from a female perspective.

When I learned from my friend Brandon that Kamara would be making an appearance at the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), I was quickly stoked, then disappointed to hear he thought it was after I left, and then pleased at least that my friends would get to hear her speak.

But as it turns out, Kamara and her co-author Susan McClelland will be in Waterloo on Thursday, October 9, my second last night in Canada. I have my free ticket to the talk, which sounds as though it will feature McClelland substantially more than Kamara, and anyone else that's interested can get one here. That is all.

1 comment:

B. Scott Currie said...

I humbly submit:

http://www.igloo.org/villagenews

Much less embarrassed of this one!